Throwback Thursday - Elvira's 'Evil' perfume

    It just so happens to be Elvira's birthday today!     

    Who else remembers this perfume spray released by Elvira in 1990? 

Elvira promoting Knott's Berry Farm's Halloween Haunt (35859341932)   

    I can't remember what it smelled like now, but I had a bottle of it long ago. I was a freshman in high school and just coming into my identity as a metalhead. Everything evil, Satanic, gruesome, and morbid were my aesthetic. So I just had to have a perfume called Evil, and of course Elvira is a Halloween/horror icon so that made it even better. I don't recall being all that fond of the scent, I think I found it to be a bit too sweetly floral for my tastes. I still thought it was a cool thing to have, though and I wore it all the same, just to say that I was wearing a perfume called Evil. It was just too metal to pass up.


Her perfume was labeled as cruelty-free long before it became the norm. 


    A search for Evil brought up a few Ebay listings, including some never-used original bottles of the perfume (marked up quite a lot from what it used to retail for in the 90s), and the above invitation to the launch party - a pretty cool piece of memorabilia. Clicking on the pics above will bring you to those listings, provided they are not sold by the time this post has been published. 

    A fascinating article about the history of the fragrance and its development, including an interview with Cassandra Peterson (Elvira herself) can be found here on the perfume blog, Cleopatra's Boudoir.

    When I was a young teen, I always associated this perfume with the song Touch of Evil by Judas Priest, which was released the same year, and thought it would be a natural fit if they were to use it in a TV commercial for Elvira's perfume. 


Photos courtesy of Ebay and the Orange County Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment