Now watching - The Burning (1981)

    I expected The Burning to be yet another summer camp slasher movie, but honestly, now that I've seen it, I consider it to be one of the best.

    Possibly unpopular opinion: It's a far better, gorier, and scarier film than any of the Friday the 13th movies. Yeah, you heard me.

   
(click poster image for movie trailer)

    It's got great cinematography, good pacing & suspense, and great special effects makeup (by the legendary Tom Savini), even by today's standards. 

I was hooked the moment I saw this iconic imagery.

    The characters are rather well developed for what seems like it would be a formulaic film (1981 was pretty early in the slasher-movie genre, however, so the so-called 'rules' were still being written). This film also features the first major screen roles of Holly Hunter and Jason Alexander.


    The Burning is on Shudder right now so go see it there or elsewhere if you haven't. Or watch it again, it's great. 9 outta 10 jackos.

[ 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃_ ]






Poster image via IMDB

 

No comments:

Post a Comment