Now Playing: We Are Chaos

     I was super stoked for Marilyn Manson's new album We Are Chaos, released today - and it has exceeded my expectations and hopes. I've been a fan of his since the mid-90s and while I've enjoyed at least a few tracks from each album, most of his full albums have not grabbed me by the guts the way his first 3 full-length releases did. I went into this new one expecting about the same, and I'm happy to say that I underestimated him.

    I heard the title track from We Are Chaos a few weeks ago and was instantly hooked. There's a touch of melancholy to it, something I didn't expect to feel. Today I listened to the full album and immediately put it on repeat, and again. It's that good. I can't stop listening to it. At only 10 songs in length & just under 43 minutes, it's a fairly short album, but there's not a mediocre track on this thing. 

title track, "We Are Chaos"

    The opening track, Red, Black, and Blue begins with an eerie monologue before unleashing some of Manson's best work, in my opinion, since Mechanical Animals. The songwriting (apparently he co-wrote this with Shooter Jennings, whose work so far is mostly unfamiliar to me) is fantastic and everything sounds musically tight as hell. Parts of it sound like David Bowie himself gave his blessing. It's an intense and cathartic work, something I desperately needed among all the angst, fear, and despair of this year. 

Red, Black, and Blue

    The full album can be listened to here on Spotify. Or, if you're a fan of his already, just buy the fucking thing because it's brilliant and you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment