Sounds to Make You Shiver

     You know those list memes that make their rounds on social media - like, name your top 10 albums that had the biggest influences on your life - that sort of thing?  

    This LP -- Sounds to Make You Shiver, circa 1974 on Pickwick Records -- is one of mine. We had a copy of this exact record for as far back as I can remember as a kid. I loved it so much that I eventually recorded it onto cassette and would listen to it on my Walkman - and in my car. I eventually made CDs of it, now I have the MP3s.


    To this day, I still listen to it regularly, especially during Halloween season. Side 1 is like a story told completely by sound. There's barely any dialog - just at the beginning and end, but as a kid I could just close my eyes and vividly see/feel/smell as well as hear the spooky journey from start to finish. 


    I was and still am fascinated by the cover art. Someday I want to get a tattoo of that skull on the back cover.

    Side 2 was fun for playing haunted house with, both when I was a kid and when I grew up and made some attempts at home haunts. 

(photos found on Pinterest)

    You can listen to the whole album on Youtube. Enjoy the ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment