Spirit 2021

I paid my first visit of the season to Spirit Halloween over the weekend. I didn't go at all in 2020 so I was really looking forward to it. 

 
As with so many Halloween retail locations around here, it's obvious they are lacking in stock. Lots of half-empty and sparse displays. Perhaps even more disappointing, hardly any of the animatronics were on display, maybe only 5 or 6. And of those that were out, some weren't even fully operational. There were several very conspicuously empty spots where more were supposed to be. 
 
From all the hype I had been seeing and hearing elsewhere online about Spirit's 2021 offerings, I was really bummed that so much of it was not available at the store I visited. Underwhelming. I don't know why our area is getting so screwed in regard to Halloween shipments this year. 
 

This ghost was pretty rad, though - genuinely spooky voice.

 
I'm pretty tired of the psycho clown thing for Halloween, but I like neon stuff so this guy gets a pass.
 

They had some pretty cool home decor type stuff this year, but I'm honestly getting tired of the oversaturation of licensed characters and franchises. I mean, I LOVE Beetlejuice, etc. but part of the reason I've been so drawn to the Halloween and horror aesthetic is that it is, or was, more subversive and off the beaten path of mainstream culture. Now a lot of it has, literally, become Disney-fied, and that doesn't sit well with me. I loathe the idea of Halloween becoming too watered down and "family-friendly". But, that's an entirely different conversation.

One thing I did love at Spirit this year, however, is the "Pumpkin Carv-O-Matic Factory" display - I consider this to be one of the most fun displays they've had in years.

I didn't end up buying anything except for a couple of "bleeding" black taper candles. I'll be visiting another Spirit in a few weeks when I go back to Connecticut for awhile, it will be interesting to compare the two stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment