Old Halloween newspaper ads

When I was a kid, I thought a local store called Super Card Gallery was one of the coolest places to shop. It is long gone now, and I can't really remember when it opened, or when it went out of business. It apparently was a chain, but I'm not sure if it was national or regional (I'm betting on the latter). I remember it being quite large inside, like department-store size, although my memories may have distorted some of those details. 

As the name suggests, it was a Hallmark-esque shop with greeting cards and whatnot, but it carried so much more. It had tons of party supplies, tons of stickers for the sticker-collection enthusiast (this was the 80s, after all), fun novelty stuff like fake dog poop, disappearing ink, and whoopie cushions, a newsstand with a great selection, gift stuff, and more. 

One of THEE best things about it was their Halloween season. They always seemed to have more stuff than anyone else - it was glorious! Recently, I found a couple of newspaper ads featuring Super Card Gallery. Check out this amazingness!

Hartford Courant, Oct 25, 1987


Hartford Courant, Oct 28, 1988

I've been searching for more information about this place, but so far I can't find much -- just some old newspaper ads like these ones, no photos or anything can be found just using Google. Are/were you from the CT area, and do you remember Super Card Gallery? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment