Fall Fair Memories: The Big E - Part 6 - Other stuff

    I've been busy relaxing and having a laid-back birthday weekend, and also planning a new project, but it's time to write the final entry in my series of posts dedicated to The Big E, the best fall festival and state fair ever! Today would have been the final day of the 2020 season. Let's hope 2021 is twice as fun as usual!

(You can read parts 1 thru 5 here - One, Two, Three, Four, Five)

In this installment: The miscellaneous stuff that makes The Big E fun!

First up: Storrowtown Village, described on their website as "a reconstructed village of nine authentic 18th and 19th century buildings from Massachusetts and New Hampshire, assembled around a traditional town green." It has a permanent presence on the grounds of The Big E and is open year round for various events. There is a meeting house, blacksmith, schoolroom, and more, where you can chat with people dressed in historical garb, watch demonstrations, and learn about life as it used to be. You can also buy some traditionally made wares like pottery and brooms.










. . . . . . .

Next up: The parades!

If you love watching parades, The Big E has them daily, multiple times a day. There is a Mardi-Gras style parade, with huge, gaudy floats and bead-tossing. There are the Daily Parades as well, with local area marching bands, animals, and more.



. . . . . . .

Next: The Midway - Rides, Games, and more

I don't really do the rides thing like I used to when I was a kid/teen, but man - I remember how excited I'd be to ride my favorites. The Polar Express, pictured below, was my jam. I don't know why going backwards in a circle at high speeds was so much fun, but it was. 


I've never ridden the Rotor-type rides though, I was afraid someone might barf on me. 😂

Dark rides!!! Always the best, even though they were/are corny as hell. 👻💀

. . . . . . .

Other stuff!

Random animal sideshows! (I don't think I've been in one of these since I was a kid, just seems kinda weird and wrong now)



Random monster trucks and hot rods!
  


Checking out tricked-out hot tubs!
  


Checking out the special exhibits for the year!


The great feeling of having a family member who has a booth at The Big E, so they can give you a complimentary ticket as one of their employees, since you also happen to be the designer for their business:


Meandering up and down the rows, making sure you don't miss anything...


Making your way back to where you're parked, the way you came earlier that morning, tired but happy, probably with a haul of cool stuff to bring home.


It's a beautiful time of night, a perfect autumn evening, not too cold or warm.


And everything looks so pretty at night, all lit up. 


And as you leave, you take this piece of advice with you and carry it with you throughout the year.

I'll see you in 2021 at The Big E.





No comments:

Post a Comment