I like my pumpkins black, like I like my metal

When a Facebook friend posted a picture of a black pumpkin labeled as a rare heirloom variety, I was skeptical. Pfffft -- Photoshopped, I thought. But then, I had to look it up, and - THEY DO EXIST! This one's called Dark Knight (not to be confused with a Batman-themed jack o'lantern) .

They're really more of a very dark green, but wow! They're fantastic. And this particular pumpkin isn't the only dark-hued variety. This article on the site Home for the Harvest has compiled a list of heirloom pumpkins with dark skins, including this striking variety (and continuing the Batman theme), the Batwing pumpkin:

This one might be familiar - the kabocha, found pretty commonly in grocery stores, also called kabocha squash or Japanese pumpkin, another dark-green, almost black variety. They make fantastic eating, too; the texture of their cooked innards is more akin to a sweet potato.

The kabocha pumpkin is also beloved by superstar Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama, who has featured the pumpkin as a recurring theme in her works many times during her career, including one of her infinity mirror room installations titled All the Eternal Love I Have for the Pumpkins (2016). (Same, Ms. Kusama -- same.)


I don't have much of a green thumb, but if I had my own house & yard, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at growing some of these amazing looking pumpkins. Maybe someday!

3 comments:

  1. For about 14 years, we lived down the road from the main Harris Seeds facility in Rochester, NY. We now live a county over to the east, apple country, not really pumpkin country, although we buy most of our pumpkins for carving from local farmers within just a few miles of us. Much easier than trying to grow them ourselves. We tried and it isn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wicked cool! You've mentioned Rochester and Syracuse NY before, I have family out that way, mostly 2nd and 3rd cousins, my mom was born in upstate. I spent some time camping this year near North Hudson, makes me want to explore more of upstate NY, so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. These are awesome, never knew they existed!

    ReplyDelete