Crab-O-Ween

Today I learned about the Halloween Crab, Gecarcinus quadratus!

This crab's coloring makes it easy to see how it earned that particular nickname - bright shades of orange & purple contrasted with black. In the wild, it's found near coastal Pacific Ocean rainforests in the vicinity of Mexico and Panama. It can be kept as an exotic pet as well. They're also known as the Moon Crab, Halloween Moon Crab, Purple Moon Crab, Harlequin Crab, & a few other names.

Check out the video below to see one in action!

2 comments:

  1. I love me some Halloween-themed biology!

    On a related note, you might be interested in jack-o'-lantern mushrooms (Omphalotus olearius), a poisonous bright-orange mushroom whose gills glow in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked cool - I just looked it up, thanks for the suggestion! Yes, it IS very relevant to my interests!

      Delete